[BC] about STL dishes and jumpers

Mike McCarthy towers at mre.com
Fri Nov 12 07:55:14 CST 2010

As a matter of courtesy, I'll generally refrain from calling someone a
!@#$%^&* or their installation !@#$%^&* until I have a better idea of the
circumstances behind it. Sometimes, the invention is of necessity by
default and not by design.

In my wierd STL case, the problem manifested as an improperly installed
male connector breaking the female connector interior apart. Since we had
no connectors available, but did see that the interior of the feed point
was using 7/8" inner/bullet, we bypassed the connector's interior with
3/8" LDF2.  We did that by drilling out the N connector interior and
running the nicely fitting transmission line foam and center through to
the bullet and soldering direct to the bullet. We then simply connected
the N2PNM outer to the remaining N connector shell in a tightly fitting
and impedance friendly manner. No more problem, the connection is
ruggedized, lower VSWR, and performance improved.

Let me offer this anecdote as well on lines. I agree connecting BIG lines
(7/8" and up) direct to the dish is not a good idea. Especially if using N
connectors.  I use a piece of 3/8" (LDF-2) line as my jumper. It's small
and flexible enough that it absorbs vibration easily and yet robust enough
to withstand Midwest weather. I agree with Curt that vibration is a real
killer to connections and hence another reason I resist using N connectors
anymore where I can avoid doing so and not compromise the installation.
Fortunately, most antennas now offer a DIN connector option.

MM