[BC] EAS alert tones in movie preview ad

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Fri Nov 12 08:35:26 CST 2010

------ At 10:13 AM 11/9/2010, Barry Mishkind wrote: -------

>I believe there is an issue there in that it devalues the attention
>signal as to its importance - already a problem in many
>ways,  especially when stations do their weekly test by just running
>the data bursts and nothing else.

As has been mentioned here, the tones are not attention signals. We
part company on the issue of identifying a test. I believe that's
what devalues what little value EAS has. We've conditioned listeners
to consider the noise to be a test, not a threat. I'd want the tests
to be as inconspicuous as possible since they have no relevance to a
listener and simply, allegedly, determine if the system is working.
We only need an alert when there's a real emergency.

I haven't checked the rules so I'm not sure if an announcement is
required when a test is sent. It's crying "wolf."

Rich