[BC] Transmitter metering COllins and CEC

Dave Hultsman DHults1043 at aol.com
Fri Nov 12 07:04:19 CST 2010

In a message dated 11/11/2010 5:31:21 P.M. Central Standard Time, k7cr at blarg.net writes:

>In my book, still the best design for FM.   We have 6 -831G2's installed
>at Cougar Mt - In the same room (Many of you have seen this).  They
>are wonderful transmitters - Way ahead of their time.   Most of the rigs
>of the same vintage made by others are in landfills.

>Clay Freinwald
Thanks for the nice comments Clay

The last Collins transmitters shipped from the Dallas plant was the last week of September, 1980.  I was there at the plant as were all the Collins guys and we were employed by Continental the first Monday in October.

I still run across many operating 831G-1-2-3 transmitters in my travels,  most are in alternate main models with a Continental 816R-1-2-3-4-5-6 next to them.  They are still in operation because of the reliability and the commonality of parts.  The other main reason is that since there is that commonality of parts  How many other transmitters manufacturered before October 1, 1980 that still have parts and  technioal support  in 2010.. In that same time period the transmitter has evolved even more.  Accessability,  more relaibility, two generations of solid state drivers and now even IBOC HD.

Dave Hultsman
Continental Sales