[BC] Transmitter metering

Clay Freinwald k7cr at blarg.net
Thu Nov 11 18:30:57 CST 2010

Warren Shulz wrote -
> Added problems of telemetry were the Collins FM grounded screen grid
> amplifier. Filament (cathode) was some -700 volts and plate supply was -
> cathode to anode voltage.

I live with a number of the old Collins 831G2's and newer Continental 816's
and understand well of what you speak.

Lets face it - Cathode Current includes Screen Current and not all tubes
run the same screen current for a given power output.   The good news
is that most folks simply don't worry about it anymore and if no one
worries, there is no problem.  :-)

As for plate voltage monitoring in those rigs, Continentals answer was a
2nd meter multiplier for the remote control.

In my book, still the best design for FM.   We have 6 -831G2's installed
at Cougar Mt - In the same room (Many of you have seen this).  They
are wonderful transmitters - Way ahead of their time.   Most of the rigs
of the same vintage made by others are in landfills.

Clay Freinwald