[BC] FCC query re AM

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo at usa.net
Thu Nov 11 12:38:26 CST 2010

PSSA and PSRA are in parallel to any secondary nighttime operation.

Here at WURD, we have 1 kW Day, 105 watts Night, DA-2. The daytime's lobe goes
right over downtown-it's roughly the same as 5 kW non-D. The night time is
considered a secondary operation, because it's less that 250 watts. It puts a
dimple over downtown Philly, so the actual ERP over downtown is about 60
watts.

WURD also has a 124 watt Pre-sunrise authority (granted in 1970) that I plan
to soon begin using again. It allows 124 watts into the day DA, which means
that it's almost 600 watts ERP towards downtown-a lot better then 60 watts.

Of course the ones calculated back in 2007 show gave them NO pre-sunrise.

Basically, if you have an authorization you can use it-and it's your choice as
to which one you use.

Oh-IIRC they also have a 1 watt post sunset. Not going to bother with this
one.

-D

From: Tom Spencer <Radiofreetom at gmail.com>

In perusing various stations' licenses, I've run across a puzzler...

Class D AM; listed as licensed to use some power (typically 100 - 150
watts) sunset to sunrise; unlimited-time operation, with a higher day
power (of course);

Here's the kicker - most of the Class D AMs I've looked at ALSO have
PSSAs and PSRAs with some other power specified.