[BC] need a NON-technical explanation

James Snyder broadcastlist at dtvexpress.net
Thu Nov 11 12:35:27 CST 2010

Having spent a great deal of time trolling the Dept. of Commerce
records at the National Archives, I think I can give you a quick
answer: as the technology became more sophisticated and the tuning
more precise in the 1920s, a more precise way of measuring and
assigning radio frequencies was needed since expressing them as
meters was generally considered confusing to the common person (IE
the non-ham) who didn't understand the difference between meters as
radio waves vs. meters as a form of distance measurement.

Additionally, decimal point assignments in meters were not as precise
as kilocycles which could be measured and assigned down to the cycle.
I've never found the document that announced the change, but
generally the move to frequencies from meters happened when the DOC
Radio Division started assigning stations other than the original
300, 450, and 600 meters, which was around 1921.  All of the Dept. of
Commerce licenses I've ever seen used meters (expressed in decimal
points after frequencies started being used as well), and they
started consistently using frequency numbers next to the meter
assignments with the first "Commercial Broadcasting Land Station"
license issued to WBZ Springfield, MA in 1921.  With the creation of
the Federal Radio Commission in 1927 I stopped seeing meter
assignments on the license forms.

kc (kilocycles) was changed to kHz (kiloHertz) when it was decided to
name frequencies in honor of Heinrich Hertz, the scientist who made
great contributions to the documentation of electromagnetism.
Wikipedia (that bastion of accuracy) states that the IEC
(International Electrotechnical Commission) adopted Hertz in his
honor in 1930, and the General Conference on Weights and Measures
adopted it in 1960:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz

Hope this helps.

James
------
James Snyder
Senior Systems Administrator
Library of Congress -
   National Audio Visual Conservation Center (NAVCC)
Packard Campus for Audio Visual Conservation