[BC] need a NON-technical explanation

donroden at hiwaay.net donroden at hiwaay.net
Thu Nov 11 12:32:48 CST 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz

History

The hertz is named after the German physicist Heinrich Hertz, who made
important scientific contributions to the study of electromagnetism.
The name was established by the International Electrotechnical
Commission (IEC) in 1930.[5] It was adopted by the General Conference
on Weights and Measures (CGPM) (Conférence générale des poids et
mesures) in 1960, replacing the previous name for the unit, cycles per
second (cps), along with its related multiples, primarily kilocycles
per second (kc/s) and megacycles per second (Mc/s), and occasionally
kilomegacycles per second (kMc/s). The term cycles per second was
largely replaced by hertz by the 1970s.

The term "gigahertz", most commonly used in computer processor clock
rates and radio frequency (RF) applications, can be pronounced either
/?????h?rts/, with a hard /?/ sound, or /?d????h?rts/, with a soft
/d?/.[6] The prefix "giga-" is derived directly from the Greek "?????."

from another antique radio site :

The change from cycles to hertz took place in 1965 ( ? ) and was
widely resented among practicing radio engineers. Common usage was to
drop the "per second" and say "cycles", "kilocycles" or "megacycles".
Saying "cycles" when "cycles per second" was meant may not have been
technically correct but the "per second" was understood by all who
heard or read it.