[BC] need a NON-technical explanation

PeterH peterh5322 at rattlebrain.com
Thu Nov 11 12:24:32 CST 2010

On Nov 11, 2010, at 9:20 AM, Donna Halper wrote:

> But to further confuse the neo-Luddites like me, today's radio
> receivers are in kilohertz-- I grew up with using "kc" and it all
> changed further at some point to "kHz", but I never understood that
> change either.  Soooo, if somebody could explain these changes and
> the reasons for them, in English that the average non-techie could
> understand, I'd be grateful.

kHz is simply a metricization of kc. Additionally, Hz honors Hertz,
whereas c (cycles) is an English term.

Frequency and frequency conversion involves oscillators (as did the
early "regenerative" detector). The customary units for electrical
engineering, in this context, is radians per second, where there are
2? radians per cycle, so it was perhaps natural that cycles per unit
time, and not wavelength, would be preferred.