[BC] WANTED - an FM tx.

Mark Humphrey mark3xy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 08:16:40 CST 2010

The former 2-1/2 page rule that required meter set back was 73.40,
"Transmitter; design, construction, and safety of life requirements":

Paragraph (4)(i) required that "All instruments having more than 1000
volts potential to ground on the movement shall be protected by a cage
or cover in addition to the regular case."

73.40 also imposed regulations on audio distortion, temperature
variations within crystal ovens and wiring and shielding, among other
things.  A paragraph concerning tower fencing was revised and retained
as 73.49, but most of the other verbiage was eliminated, I would guess
this happened during the Fowler period in the early '80s.

73.40 even included a paragraph on studio design; "... the studios and
particularly the main studio should be in accordance with the standard
practice for the class of station concerned, keeping the noise level
as low as reasonably possible".

I wonder how the FCC determined standard studio practice for each
"class" -- does this mean the big 1-A guys were held to tighter
standards than Class IVs?

Mark