[BC] PC Decrapifier??

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Wed Nov 10 22:52:53 CST 2010

Before Red Zebra (Dan Snyder, owner of the Redskins) bought WTNT (now
different call sign) 570 kHz in the DC market (Bethesda, MD from
Germantown, MD), I used to listen to Kim Komando.  Not for the
information, but for the humor.

Kim gets SO MUCH WRONG!  It is really funny to listen to her.  Of
course, she does get some stuff right, and for beginner Windoz users,
she gives good advice, like the advice of running anti-virus and anti-
malware software, and keeping it current.

Then again, she is an advertising whore.  If a company will run an ad
on her show, they are great, no matter how bad the software actually
is.  Of course, this is no different than any car magazine.   Have you
ever noticed that a good review of a car is either proceeded or
followed, or both, by big ads for that car?  Same for electronics,
computer, stereo, and home theater periodicals as well.  They are all
advertising whores.

Once she gets a bit beyond simple Windoz or even some Mac stuff, she
is out of her element.  Listen to her on networking, and worse yet,
network security.  It is funny as all get out.

Don't depend on a Kim Komando recommendation.

OH, one other thing, she has a reputation of SPAMing.  She used to
freely give out, or rent the e-mail address of people who signed up
for her newsletters.  A good friend of mine whose job is "critical
Internet infrastructure" just hates her because of her SPAM.  I
believe she has stopped this, but I cannot be sure.  She has the right
words in her Privacy Statements.

I would stay away, but continue to listen for the humor aspects.

--chip