[BC] EAS alert tones in movie preview ad

Warren Shulz warren.shulz at citcomm.com
Tue Nov 9 11:50:49 CST 2010

Amen to that.  They word "attention" signal was for the down stream
station and not the public.  Majority of stations send the alert data to
no one.
Only in the LP defined network (I hate to call it daisy chain) does the
data burst have any meaning down stream as many stations in a
operational area monitor for the activation relay.

These announcements are news bulletins and the programmers hate to tie
up air time send 'alert tones (data burst)' when you just need to send
the news bulletin.

I agree if there had been a way to avoid in channel data handoff these
data burst would not had been in the audio channel.

When we did a local news report about mayor having access to EAS and
using EAS data burst as a part of the new story and suspected it would
be aired the author was aware to use an out of area FIPS and time
expired RWT data header should it get to air nothing should occur.

Warren Shulz
WLS CGO