[BC] Chicago generators

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Wed Nov 3 11:33:41 CDT 2010

This is what I have.
http://www.generac.com/Portables/GP/Products/GP_17500E/

I obtained it from Home Despot (!) initially. I had a problem with the neutral wire coming unglued which burned out all my Smoke detectors by putting almost 240 volts where 120 should be! I fixed that by rewiring the panel using UL approved methods and contacted the manufacturer. Generac incorporated my advice into their production and paid for the alternator.

The alternator provides good frequency and voltage regulation. However, the harmonic content makes my APC computer supplies cycle on and off unless I put a high load on the alternator by turning on my clothes drier or electric stove. That quiets down the APC boxes. It is likely that the load of a transmitter would do the same.

I removed the handle (which gets in the way) and piped the exhaust out of my shed. It sits in a shed I built for it, my motorcycle, and "outside stuff." The shed is large enough to house a transmitter, BTW and even has four windows!

I run an underground conduit to my house and have a manual transfer switch. I also have a 20A 120v feed to my shed so I can leave a trickle charger on the battery as well as run power tools, a heater, and lights.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/