[BC] Winter Survival Gear

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Tue Nov 2 23:09:00 CDT 2010

I don't think liability has to be an issue, though the company's
attorney will more think differently, depending on the choice of
firearms.

Concealed carry generally doesn't apply if you are on your own or
company land, though some states get their panties in a twist if you
are hunting and carrying a concealed handgun for some stupid reason.

In most states you can carry concealed on land you control.  However,
who cares?  Why carry concealed?  Also, why have a company handgun?
Why have a handgun when you can carry a long gun?  In the military, a
handgun is used to fight you way to your rifle (or big gun, or tank).

Put a PUMP shotgun in a long gun safe bolted down in the building.
Only issue keys to those authorized to have access to the gun, and
require them to have a little training.  Pumps are easier to operate,
easier to understand, and much less picky about ammunition load.

I fear Richard would have had a problem with a .22LR single shot rifle
against a large cat.  Yea, it might eventually die eventually if shot,
but between getting shot and dying, it can do a whole lot of damage,
likely kill.

A shotgun can be loaded with 00-Buck, and have slugs in a side
saddle.  In most cases the one ounce (437.5 grains) group of nine .32
caliber pellets at 1800 feet per second is going to get the job done
(as opposed to a 9 MM handgun, with one projectile running under 1000
feet per second weighing in at 115 grains).  If not, use the technique
called "Slug Select" and put a huge hunk of lead on target.  That
would be a .72 caliber bullet!

Also, it is MUCH easier to train someone to use a long gun over a
handgun.  Long guns are MUCH easier to shoot accurately.

Additionally, the shotgun is a lot less interesting to the criminal
element, and pretty much impossible to conceal.

Finally, they cannot be bad.  I have been taking a class that puts me
into Sheriff's sub-stations, headquarters, and the Adult Detention
Center (the non-jail part) every week for some time now.  There are
shotguns EVERYWHERE!  They are locked to the walls, and loaded full
with one ounce full power slugs, AND another 8-12 slugs in a side
saddle (easily taken).  They are protected better in the ADC.  If they
are good enough for the Sheriff, they are good enough for me.

--chip