[BC] Scope recommendations...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Tue Nov 2 08:28:01 CDT 2010

I have a Tek 453A that I picked up some years ago for $300.  It's a
50 Meg, dual trace scope, and has delayed sweep capability.  It's
also capable of being used as an X-Y scope, albeit with tricky
settings.  It's become my "pet" "field" scope and serves just about
everything I need.  The Tektronix 453A is fairly rugged, not to big,
and easy to schlep.

I've had to deal with digital scopes, and while they have some nice
features, the ones I've seen are not good at looking at many analog
signals.  For example, I had the need to look at the modulation
envelope out of a DX-50 with that station's digital Tektronix scope,
it was all but useless for that purpose.  For your first scope, I'd
recommend a good analog scope.

I also have an older B&K model 600, which is a 10 Meg dual trace and
runs on batteries, a nice feature and very handy when you don't want
to have the scope grounded.

Burt