[BC] Winter Survival Gear

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Mon Nov 1 14:53:29 CDT 2010

On Monday 01 November 2010 03:38:25 pm Jeff Johnson wrote:
> Over the years, I've had to jump a fully discharged (but good) automotive
> battery with a fully charged battery to get the dead one's attention. Then
> an automatic charger would work.
>
> There is obviously a chemical reason for this. Any lead-acid battery
> chemists on the list??

 I know the internals of a lead-acid battery, but that's not the issue.
 Once the charger starts, it'll charge unless it's completely sulfated,
 or internally shorted.

 It's the charger that needs the jump.
 A plain old stupid rectifier charger would bring it up regardless.
 ( it may have to cook for several days before you see any appreciable
 charge build )

 Any lead acid battery suffers permanent damage if discharged below
 about 80% charge. Automotive batteries more-so than so-called
 deep cycle as they simply don't have the reserve lead in them.
 Lead acid stands over-charge very well, PROVIDED the plates are
 not allowed to dry out at all, but they do not like discharge.

--
Cowboy