[BC] AC Voltage Drop

Chris Gebhardt chris at virtbiz.com
Mon Jun 29 06:49:39 CDT 2009

Milton R. Holladay Jr. wrote:
> You shouldn't be caring; you should be telling the utility to close the
> delta, then worry about it. If they won';t do it,  suddenly require a wye
> feed.
> Consult your PUC about non-compliance of the utility...........

Well here is one reason why you may not want to play it that way.  Who
pays for it?   If the utility is having a problem delivering the voltage
that you're currently subscribed to, then they will pay to repair it.
In the course of the repair, you can tell them that while they're at it,
go ahead and drop a 208-Y instead of the 240-Delta.   If it turns out
that after an investigation the power they are supplying is fine, but
you still want to change over, then you'll likely pay for it.   In
Dallas, we were quoted about $6k by the utility.   That's when we said
"you know... we sure do have a lot of dropouts and flickering lights".
Sure enough... the utility agreed and said "how about we take care of
that for you."

Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services
chris at virtbiz.com | (972) 485-4125