No subject

Sat Jun 27 19:33:21 CDT 2009

WinXP than for Linux.  In particular, network card drivers.  Virtually all
the desktops here require a network card driver to be installed before WinXP
can see the net at all; makes it hard to download the drivers.

We only have one desktop box where I had to find a Linux driver online, and it
was an old one.  All the other desktops, including the ones WinXP had no
drivers for, were supported immediately by Linux.

Also, please take a moment and read an opinion piece I found this morning:
http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/windowsoem.shtml

This guy took 156 minutes to get the base Windows XP installed on a box, where
the PCLinuxOS distribution was installed in 26 minutes.  In the PCLinuxOS
case, that included a full Office suite, e-mail client, and everything needed
to be productive.  In the WinXP case, it was just the base, without on Office
suite.

A modern distribution, like Fedora Core 6 or 7, or Ubuntu 7.04, or OpenSuSE
10.2, is going to go in very quickly and have everything you need to roll, in
the majority of the cases.

More info in other replies a little later.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer