No subject

Sat Jun 27 19:15:20 CDT 2009

document with the exception of (nominal) membership fees for members of the
DRM consortium.

Yes, equipment manufacturers need to obtain licenses, but from what I can see,
that's only to insure interoperability with the DRM spec, not to enrich
someone's corporate coffers.

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: Robert Orban <rorban at earthlink.net>
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: [BC] DRM and royalties

At 09:00 PM 5/22/2006, you wrote:
>From: "DANA PUOPOLO" <dpuopolo at usa.net>
>Subject: Re: [BC] No Buzz about IBUZ
>
>Why?
>Because DRM is free! There's no licen$ing money to be made from DRM.

This is not true. See

ANNEX 3: PROVISIONS RELATING TO INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS

starting on page 31 of

http://www.drm.org/pdfs/consortiumpdf/lac_063.pdf

The standard is open, but equipment manufacturers (both TX and RX)
must still license the intellectual property owned by DRM consortium members.

AFAIK, there are no fees charged to broadcasters for broadcasting DRM
if a broadcaster's transmission equipment has been manufactured under
the appropriate licenses.

Some of the language looks like this:

1.1.1 All Background Information or IPRs owned or controlled by any
Member shall remain the property of that Member.

3.3.1 each Member shall be entitled to exploit directly or indirectly
all its Foreground Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) and Information

3.1.2 conditions non-exclusive and non-transferable licences of its
Foreground IPRs and Information necessary for the use of the Standard
and strictly for implementing the Standard for purposes other than
those stated in Clause 3.1.3.

3.1.3 Licences of a Member's Foreground IPRs and Information
necessary for the use of the Standard through the manufacture (other
than the manufacture by a Member solely for that Member's own use)
and/or the sale, lease or rent of equipment or the grant of rights in
software shall be granted to the other Members on Favourable
Conditions. Such licences shall be non-exclusive and non-transferable
and shall include for the licensee the right to procure the
manufacture of products by third parties for exploitation by the
licensee at its risk and account. Nevertheless, the licensee shall
not be exempted from the liability to ensure that its sub-contracts
with manufacturers contain adequate provisions to protect the rights
in the Standard and Confidential Information. Licences between the
Members shall not automatically include rights for a Member to
sub-license third parties. Associate Members and Class B Members
shall not by right be entitled to such a licence on Favourable
Conditions under this Clause 3.1.3 but only to a licence on the same
conditions as are available to Non-members as set out in Clause 4.2 below.

Bob Orban

  - - - -
You are reading the BROADCAST Mailing List for broadcast professionals:

This mailing list is also available in digest form (messages are
combined into a "digest" ... which can be helpful if you want to
reduce the load on your "in-box").

TO SUBSCRIBE or UNSUBSCRIBE:

**** FOR CHANGES IN SERVICE
.. go to the very bottom of the page, enter your email address, and
click on "Edit Options."