[BC] Michael Jackson, R.I.P.

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Thu Jun 25 21:39:01 CDT 2009

------ At 07:11 PM 6/25/2009, Thomas G. Osenkowsky wrote: -------

>I have NEVER mocked the dead, ill or those who
>are otherwise unable to defend themselves. I am
>ashamed, embarrassed and frankly disgusted to
>have any association with those who do.

This has been a terrible week for entertainment. We've lost people
who have made our business and our lives interesting, productive and
profitable. Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson each had
devils to fight. When Ed McMahon visited WOR offices emptied as the
staff came by to say hello. He was a delightful man. Every life has a
down side. Failed marriages, financial mistakes and cancer took a man
who loved to be around people.

Farrah Fawcett endured her share of blond jokes and showed herself to
be a strong woman battling cancer and sharing the experience. I can't
help believe she made many women stronger as they experienced the same thing.

Michael Jackson made many of us a lot of money. He brought showbiz
and tremendous creativity to our formats. With all that talent he
suffered a miserable childhood and leeches trying to suck as much
money as possible. We all know how vapid today's radio is. A
performer who made it exciting is gone. Even the early MTV that
didn't play Black artists were forced to change their policy. His
creativity made the suits even more empty.

I'm really surprised at some of the posts here today. I should say
disgusted and embarrassed that the death of a person should cause
people to assemble to think up jokes.

This is the second time in recent memory Tom and I have agreed with
each other 100%. Each of them went too early. Let's let them go
peacefully. Let's let them be judged by a spirit at a salary level
much higher than any of ours.

Rich