[BC] HDTV rollout wrinkle

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Tue Jun 23 12:30:14 CDT 2009

Of course with Analog TV transmitters, the power rating was peak-of sync, while "black power," was was peak divided by 1.68, looking at UHF transmitter specifications of yester-year, I see that 50 kW was the top power for klystron TV transmitters in the US, but Europe had higher powers. To me, this means that 50 kW was probably defined by regulation. Combine that with an antenna power-gain of 4 or more, and you get the "quarter million" ERP that I remember loudly boasted by UHF broadcasters.

WATR-TV, when I was CE, ran 50 kW from the transmitter.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/