[BC] DTV Audio Levels

Xen Scott xenscott at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 16 20:43:15 CDT 2009

At 03:51 AM 06/16/2009 +0000, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>If I am a network TV station licensee and I get a digital network feed,
>can't I control all aspects of that network signal? As the licensee, I am
>required to have absolute control. If the signal doesn't meet specs, it's
>my license, not the network.

I once worked for KYW-TV in Philadelphia when it was an NBC affiliate.
The station got a citation for illegal vertical blanking width on a
program segment coming from the NBC Network.  It was back in the days when
3/4 inch tape equipment was first being used in broadcast applications
after suitable time-base correctors became available.  Eventually
the FCC relaxed the rules because too many stations had trouble meeting
the requirement.  All that resulted from excessive vertical blanking
width was more black at the top of the picture.  After a while, digital
processors made it possible to easily correct video with improper blanking
widths or other sync problems.

Xen Scott