[BC] Wham, Bam ... thank you Ham

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Mon Jun 15 20:27:52 CDT 2009

As I wrote, and it was accurate, there is no more Advanced Class
testing, nor are there any NEW Advanced class licenses.

Existing Advanced Class operating licenses stay, but there are no new
ones.

At the Troodwood Hamvention (near Dayton) there were a lot of angry
Advanced Class hams who thought the FCC should upgrade them to Extra
with no test.  It made no sense to me.

At the FCC Forum one of the angry Advanced hams spoke up, and "what's
his face"  (sorry I don't recall the guy's name) from the FCC shot him
down.  The new folks are no Riley Hollingsworth in presentation, but
the woman in charge (I don't recall her name either) seems to have a
grip on the real problem children, and problem spots, and intends to
fine them into doing the right thing.

The bad news was that we hit a peak of about 36,000 hams at Trootwood
when No Code passed.  It has been falling.  They said 18,000 last
year, and though they said it was up this year, I would estimate
14,000 for several reasons.  One reason was that the highest ticket
number called was just over 13,000, and we all know that the tickets
are not sold from one to the top number -- in other words, there are
big blocks of unsold tickets throughout the range.  There were "brown"
tickets too, but the highest brown number I heard called was under
1,000.

eBay is killing hamfests.

--chiop