[BC] DTV Audio Levels

Robert Orban rorban at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 15 16:37:44 CDT 2009

At 03:05 PM 6/14/2009, Thomas G. Osenkowsky wrote:
>At the March, 2009 meeting of SBE Chapter 14
>we hosted a demonstration of the Linear Acoustic
>processor. The demo was a segment of CSI:Miami
>from WCBS-TV (analog channel 2 in NYC). The
>variation in levels during the show itself, then to a
>cutaway was very audible. Post processing was
>amazingly consistent. We could see the bar graphs
>reducing levels where they exceeded the norm and
>watch the average level in numeric form.
>
>The processor is designed to make the audio levels
>as heard by human ears consistent. I was sold on the
>device. The bottom line is that there is a problem and
>there is a solution.
>
>Tom Osenkowsky, CPBE
>With no connection or relation to, nor
>compensated by Linear Acoustic

We also have a product to do this in what we like to think is a
gentle and subtle way:

http://www.orban.com/products/television/8585/

This augments our existing 2-band and 5-band compression with a CBS
Loudness controller that is substantially improved compared to our
older TV products. The product also contains a built-in CBS Loudness
Meter, which we find agrees very closely the Dolby LM100 loudness
meter on dialog. My impression is that the CBS meter has a lower
maximum error than the ITU BS1770 meter, whose verification testing
showed outliers as large as 5 dB.

Bob Orban