[BC] DTV Audio Levels

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Sun Jun 14 21:34:56 CDT 2009

------ At 07:05 PM 6/14/2009, Thomas G. Osenkowsky wrote: -------

>The processor is designed to make the audio levels
>as heard by human ears consistent. I was sold on the
>device. The bottom line is that there is a problem and
>there is a solution.

Maybe I've spent too much of my career programming in major cities
where we try and eliminate as many irritants as possible. It may not
be as ratings sensitive as radio but I have to believe people are
just going to say to Hell with it and go out for a walk. I vividly
recall the relatively intense uproar of viewers that caused the FCC
to get involved in commercial levels relative to program levels.

As far as the dramatic differences between station is concerned I'd
be happy with a group of people setting the overall level by ear for
each station relative to the others. The lack of a digital VU meter
might make matching network/local levels a problem. It sounds to me
as though, from an audio standpoint, this isn't ready for prime time
even though there's nothing left but prime time. Anything that causes
fatigue or irritation most likely affects ratings where a period of
quality appreciation has come and gone. There must still be a little
left because people in my circle of friends are willing to set up
elaborate home theatres. I can imagine TV suffering the same fate as
radio where broadcast TV is replaced by DVDs and Blu-Ray. At least
you expect to be deafened by the dynamic range of the disc.

I hope the processor you heard gets into the field quickly. The
markings on the mute and volume buttons on my remote are nearly worn
away. As I've said before, this zapping of spots out of necessity is
a great disservice to advertisers. This might be just the time we
need the folks Touched by an Angel.

Advertisers are good.

Rich