[BC] Padding down a sat receiver input

radioranger radioranger at comcast.net
Fri Jun 12 19:02:34 CDT 2009

I just installed a new satellite receiver from Dial Global.  They recommend
that the signal level not exceed 60 on the front panel meter, and I'm
getting a reading of 70.  The EbNo figure is 11.5.

Here's my question--- if you use a standard 75 ohm F connector attenuator
pad to reduce the incoming signal do the resistors in the pad also change
the DC voltage level going to the LNB?

Do any of you know how the signal strength numbers relate to decibels?  In
other words, does a 3 db pad change the signal strength meter by some linear
amount?

Thanks for your help.

Steve Brown
Radio Rangers