[BC] Re: Assistance With A DVD VCR Machine

Glen Kippel glen.kippel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 14:29:26 CDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Tom Dimeo <am at pa321.net> wrote:

> My sister called me this morning with this problem.  I know
> nothing about television receiving and related devices so
> wonder if someone might have an explanation for her.
>
> She has a Magnavox dv225mg9 VCR and DVD player that is about
> two years old and it started eating tapes.  Yesterday she
> bought another machine that appears to be exactly the same,
> it even has the same instruction manual.  However, when she
> got it home and tried connecting it to her television set the
> new one does not have the same connectors as her old one.

> <SNIP>

As I see it, your sister has three options:

1.  Buy a new TV with A/V or S-video I/O, as appropriate.

2.  If playback only is needed, buy an RF modulator.  If she wants to record
off the air, she will also need to buy a DTV converter box.  For reviews of
these, see:http://www.cnet.com or
http://www.birds-eye.net/article_archive/dtv_converter_box_review_and_where_to_buy.htm

3.  Open up the VCR and clean the head and guides so it doesn't eat tapes,
then return the new VCR for a refund.

Listed in order of cost.