[BC] Collins 831F2 assistance needed

towers at mre.com towers at mre.com
Mon Jun 8 08:12:50 CDT 2009

200ma of cathode current on a 4CX250 is a bit high.  I extended my tube
life by some margin dropping the current to 180mA.  I still obtain
sufficient PA drive at that level.  But that might also be a sign of
something else happening too.

Check the various coarse tuning controls and couplings to make sure all
the mechanical conenctions are clean, tight and good.  Also, the IPA
tuning belt will break.  Make sure that's OK and the cap is turning.

I have heard of the IP tuning cap going south too.

Also check the fine efficiency matcher if you box has that control.  The
open air cap can short and do all kinds of crazy things.

MM