[BC] Gratitude and Identity

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Fri Jun 5 19:57:46 CDT 2009

Tom,

Thanks for your kind thoughts, both earlier and now, as well as your
contributions to the radio industry.

I did make a purposeful choice seven years ago that I WOULD NOT
identify myself as Radio Guide's Editor on each every post I make -
and indeed, I tend to limit my .sigs on the list greatly as I don't
want to overshadow the large number of great engineers and friends
who have shared information on this list. I think over the past seven
years, I have done so only on a very small number where it was
probably useful for informational purposes.

(Yes, I do see some who tend to use their .sigs more as advertising
and self-promotion than anything else - reaching up to as many as 15
lines or more in a .sig - I could list all my titles, addresses,
phone numbers, stations, etc etc, but what's the benefit?  If you
want my long .sig, let me know, and I'll send it privately.)

Furthermore, I have tried hard not to over-promote www.oldradio.com
with every post. Sometimes, when a question comes up, it does seem
that there are a few that will post links to every website but
www.oldradio.com. That is a dis-service to those who have contributed
time/effort/money to the site. However, I find it hard to
self-promote, especially when much of the information is coming from sharers.

At the same time, some of you have told me I should be more "upfront"
with promoting www.oldradio.com, as perhaps (1) some might not be
aware of the site and resource and (2) they might help out more if
they did know - perhaps donating pictures, information, or the
occasional $10 or 20 to keep www.oldradio.com open and free for all.

It has always been my hope to avoid turning the site into one of
those where you have to pay to get access. And, up to now, there has
always been enough contributions to cover expenses. I hope to keep
things that way, so, I tend to be less than aggressive about it.
Still, if enough of you want me to push harder on oldradio.com, I will try.

thanks for all your support, in so many ways!