[BC] corporate silliness

towers at mre.com towers at mre.com
Mon Jun 1 20:29:07 CDT 2009

Um...before going to the FCC wailing on a station for refusing to release
the names of it's employees, that is NOT a requirement of any statute or
regulation I'm aware. (That's VERY different than allowing free and clear
access to the Public File).

We have something of a similar policy regarding the release of select
management personnel names and we NEVER comment about whether someone
works for us on a cold call. You really don't know who is on the other
end.  Credit/debt collector, lawyer who is culling information, stalker,
etc. There are some real wing nuts out there and once they have a name,
they can do all sorts of damage to the station and/or the poeple.
Additionally, there are thugs out there looking for people who have fired
them or are part of gang looking for revenge on talent or guests. Recall
the past gangsta rap shootings in NYC?

While we know that they will get the same of the target person when going
to voice mail, our receptionist doesn't then get bombarded with a million
questions about how to reach this or that person by saying they're not in
and to shuttle them to our extension/ VM. I can't tell you how many free
magazine subscriptions's I've been offered, but declined to provide these
cold callers from overseas any information.

I've also had some really wierd people cold call my house asking if I
worked in the radio business, at a specific station or if know someone
there? We don't answer the main line any more at night, it goes to voice
mail, and screen the incoming messages. And good luck finding my name in
the phone book to find our private line....

So...before hauling out the lumber to beat on a recepotionist for not
giving out names, it is likely for a good reason beyond wanting hide
something.

MM

 Last week, I had a friend describe to me the response he had when