[BC] Don't Tax That Dial

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Mon Jun 1 10:46:29 CDT 2009

------ At 11:02 AM 5/31/2009, towers at mre.com wrote: -------

>Now...if the FCC allowed a clustered approach to front and back sell, that
>might return a different conclusion.  I would go so far as to suggest
>allowing up to 1 song per quarter hour to be pay/play, provided a
>particular label can't have more than one song on the air in rotation on
>any given day and there would be no set minimum plays per day.  That would
>force diversity.

There are a couple of issues here: this would drive both the Traffic
Manager and the Program Director (where one still exists) crazy.
Since it's now commercial matter, traffic would have to generate an
affidavit with specific songs. That require whoever is programming to
synchronize their scheduling. The automation clocks would have to be
changed to provide a specially inserted commercial position within a
music segment to provide proof that a specific song aired as
scheduled. It would now appear on the commercial log. The traffic
person would have to schedule the song. It's not impossible but a
pain in the butt.

It would be the same as a client with dozens of individual spots who
wants the affidavit to show it as a fixed position with identifiable
music information.

I don't understand the need to limit labels to one song per day.
Diversity would be enhanced by allowing multiple songs, perhaps
limiting the number of plays per day. Since pay-for-play has already
messed up the programming by forcing you to play songs that might not
fit the subtle requirements of the programmer's audio vision of how
the station should sound. It's often those subtle music decisions
that make one AC station a hit and another a bust.  It's really a
moot point. I don't believe record companies will pay and keep track
of every song in every market. To be effective, they'd have to
include the songs for every station on their commercial schedules
sent to each station'sTraffic department.

Too much heavy lifting. It would also counter their argument that
radio doesn't sell product.

Rich