[BC] hot enough for you ?

Chris Gebhardt chris at virtbiz.com
Mon Jun 22 21:20:05 CDT 2009

Jim Offerdahl wrote:
> Actually I think you are right. We are quite close to the sub-station though
> so maybe it didn't affect too many. All I know is I complained that I was
> seeing voltage drops of 8 to 10 voltages even as much as 15 in the worst
> case and they told me they were doing that and offered to remove it. They
> did and no more problems. It got so bad that the transmitter would drop
> below 90% and set off our alarms.

Interesting thing... we were having issues with one of our power feeds
at the datacenter - we have an A and B service, different transformers &
poles - and the electric operator put a recording meter on it, finding
voltage variations that were enough to warrant pulling new lines,
dropping a new pole, and setting new transformers.   Since then, things
have been nice and stable.

We have also recently signed up for a demand-response program whereby we
can be called into action a certain number of times per year to pull off
the grid and go onto generator.   When this happens, a strobe flashes in
our NOC ("control room") and our key techs get simultaneous emails,
pages and robo-calls.  If we approve, our generator fires, the ATS
transfers off the grid, and we run on diesel for 30 minutes.

The company that runs the demand-response program is compensated as a
"virtual power plant" by the grid operator (ERCOT) and we share in that
compensation 50/50, and are paid on the audited load that we pull off
the grid.

It's an interesting program, and if you pull 100KW (the minimum to be
eligible for the program) or more and can operate on your own power, it
could be a good way to pump in a little NTR for your facility.

Oh... 104 on our roof in Downtown Dallas.  69 in the server room.
Supposed to be like this all week.  Can't wait for the next power bill.

Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services
chris at virtbiz.com | (972) 485-4125