[BC] Acer Aspire

Chris Gebhardt chris at virtbiz.com
Sun Jun 21 10:57:41 CDT 2009

Dave Dunsmoor wrote:
>  Sometime back, someone, one of these lists commented on how well they liked
> the new Acer Aspire notebook. I'd like to know how well it's still thought
> of now some days/weeks later.

I have had an MSI Wind netbook for about 6 months now.   After
lovin/touchin/squeezin a variety of models from a few of our local
retailers (CompUSA, Frys, MicroCenter here in Dallas) I settled in on
the MSI Wind for the keyboard layout, weight, and superior battery.
Specifically compared to the Acer Aspire, I found the keyboard and
screen to be more comfortable for me.

I'm very pleased with my decision.  I keep a USB Sprint aircard on it
and tote the thing around in a neoprene pouch wherever I go.  I charge
it once a week or so, whether it needs it or not.  I can typically get
 >3 hours on it if I'm heavy on the aircard, nearly double that if I'm
not.   The battery holds its charge very well in "standby" mode.

I do use the aircard a lot though, as I have the machine mainly to
terminal into my system at the office, or for some light utility work.

I don't impress easily, but the little MSI Wind has really scored with
me.  I'm a fan.

BTW: in case you're shopping around and looking at various options, I'll
take a moment to address screens.   I learned from my experience with my
full-size laptop that the high-contrast "glossy" screens look really
great indoors, but are really susceptible to disappearing in sunlight or
any glare (say, from a window).   Knowing that I wanted this to be a
"use anywhere" kind of appliance, I ruled out anything with the glossy
screens, even though they look fantastic in the store and appear to put
the matte-finish screens to shame when you look at them side by side.

Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services
chris at virtbiz.com | (972) 485-4125