[BC] Acer Aspire

Hingsbergen, John E. hingsbje at muohio.edu
Sun Jun 21 08:55:06 CDT 2009

If you're talking about the NetBook, I had a bad experience with one.  Bought an Aspire One for my daughter from Tiger Direct at a great price.  Out of the box, it wouldn't boot up.

Despite my opinion that it was a hard  drive issue, their customer service rep in India decided that they needed to send a set of recovery discs before they could do anyhing else.  Those took 12 days to arrive and, guess what, after hours of transferring the CDs to flash drives, the machine still wouldn't boot up.

The next Acer CSR that I called said it was obvious this was a hard drive issue and all I needed to do was ship it back for a repair.   That didn't happen.  We sent it back to Tiger under their 30-day return policy and bought an HP from MicroCenter.

Can't say anything about the performance of the Acer since we never saw it operate but their Customer Service leaves something to be desired.

I do now have a "complementary" set of Acer recovery discs that have been helpful to at least one other user.  Not sure if they'll work on the HP but we can wait to find out  :-)

John E. Hingsbergen
Program Director in Exile
WMUB-FM
npr at 88.5