[BC] Neighbors fear radio tower near Utica, NY is making them ill

George Brand george at lovellsmichigan.com
Thu Jun 18 15:46:11 CDT 2009

People can come up with the strangest ideas. We were erecting a 200 foot
tower on my back pastureland for an amateur repeater. The only thing up was
the tower, no shed, no power,no equipment, no power poles in yet. I had
neighbors getting downright RUDE accusing my of everything from TVI to
halitosis. I finally did an "in your face" reply pointing out the obvious
and offered the nearest FCC office's phone number and invited them to really
make a fool of themselves. They got the point, and yes we are still friends.
Gave them a guided tour when it was operational.

I finally did figure out what was wrong, new FM stations transmitter site 5
miles south was spewing RF seemingly from DC to daylight and they were'nt
aware of it until I politely called them. Problem was fixed very quickly.

George