[BC] KFEQ 680 Tower Comes Down

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Thu Jun 18 16:41:58 CDT 2009

Maintenance? WCHA in Chambersburg, PA was the first station I saw that used open-wire. It went on the air in the '40s, has been on the air continuously since with zero maintenance to the transmission line. They used a simple coupler at the TX building so that any transmitter designed for 50 ohms would work, even though the line was about 210 ohms. These things have very little loss. WCHA's has four outer wires and two inners.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/