[BC] Neighbors fear radio tower near Utica, NY is making them ill

Urban, Brian L burban at kut.org
Thu Jun 18 11:03:56 CDT 2009

The FCC FM Model program predicts maximum radiation from a 2 bay full wave spaced antenna at 3.0 kW is 26.64 uW/cm^2 at 17.2 meters from the antenna.  Quoting OET Bulletin 65 Appendix A :”...OET Bulletin 65 shows that at these frequencies the MPE limit for general
population/uncontrolled exposure is 0.2 mW/cm² (200 μW/cm2) and the limit for occupational/controlled exposure is 1 mW/cm² (1000 μW/cm2).”

I’d say it is well within the limits.

The homeowner is probably within the blanketing contour as defined by 47 CFR 73.318 which is the 115 dBu contour calculated by

D (in kilometers)=0.394 SQRT P where P is the ERP in kW

I got 682 meters and it is incumbent on the licensee to fix the FM interference in the TVs, stereos, radios, etc. within the blanketing contour.

--
Brian Urban
Chief Operator