[BC] City Of License/Transmitter site question

Mark Humphrey mark3xy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 19:15:15 CDT 2009

This is similar to the COL policy for FM translators; there is no
requirement for 70 or even 60 dBu service over the principal
community.  The FCC apparently just looks at the geographical
coordinates provided in the "tech box", and if the contours (or
distance separations for LPFM) have adequate clearance to other
facilities, the application is considered grantable.

I'm aware of a translator CP that was granted at a location about 100
miles west of the desired COL.  The longitude specified in the online
form had a typographical error which put it off by two degrees.
However, the contours did clear at the erroneous site, so the FCC
found no problem.

Mark