[BC] Anybody have a 1 KW AM rig I can buy?

Scott Cason scott at lagrange-com.com
Mon Jul 27 21:12:33 CDT 2009

>>i installed a BE-AM1 earlier this year and had all kinds of lighting
strikes on and around the tower, it comes up with a lit red LED. and the
owner  just hits reset and it's gone. amazing.

I maintain a station with an AM1.  While it would not be my first choice of
transmitter, it is for the most part, trouble free.  I will occasionally
find the "lightning" LED you reference flashing, but since it does have an
excellent ground system it does not bother the transmitter that much.

It cannot be stressed enough to have the proper grounding for the
transmitter site.  I was recently call in on a troublesome transmitter site
where parts and pieces were getting blown out.  Over the past couple of
years, the engineer had replaced every piece of equipment and had extensive
rebuilding done on his SX5.  Nothing was grounded.  We spent three days and
went from the service entrance to the tower and hung a ground and/or ground
strap on EVERYTHING.  He has not had any problems since.

Scott Cason
on location with
LaGrange Communications
502-213-0024