[BC] Arbitron

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Fri Jul 24 09:59:55 CDT 2009

------ At 08:26 PM 7/23/2009, Jim Tonne wrote: -------

>I see that setting the contraption on a table during
>dinner effectively turns it off.
>
>I see that feeds via satellite are ignored.

I'd check further on that. If you enjoy reading in bed listening to
radio and the charger is on a nighttable it'll record the listening.
I do believe there's a movement sensor that turns it off, assuming
the research subject is away and has forgotten to "suit up" for a
thrilling day of radio listening. Long periods of no movement assumes
the person who's supposed to be wearing it isn't or its at a nudist
event with no painless means of attachment.

I don't understand how satellite listening would be ignored. Networks
don't encode. You're not listening to the satellite. You're listening
to the satellite feed after it's been run through the station's audio
chain. No station in its right mind would want nearly 100% of their
programming ignored. It monitors the encoded signal generated at the
station and doesn't care about its source.

Rich