[BC] Arbitron

John Johnson jjohnson at wduq.org
Thu Jul 23 09:33:59 CDT 2009

We went a slightly different route with our install, I put audio
switches (Broadcast Tools SMIII +)  between the main and back-up
encoders.  We use the alarm output of the encoder monitor to switch
between the main and back-up encoders, although we can do it manually or
potentially w/ remote control.  The main thing for me is that the
switching happens automatically and immediately should an encoder fail.

We have found that the encoders are very sensitive to audio input
levels.  They have to be relatively loud and consistent, which for
classical or talk (and some jazz and blues) can get a little dicey.
Although the encoder will alarm on the front panel well before the
monitor if the audio levels aren't quite up to snuff.

JOhn

John Johnson
WDUQ
Pittsburgh, PA