[BC] AM loop receiving antennas

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Fri Jul 17 07:48:33 CDT 2009

When Sparta was making those turntables, I pointed out to John Fernandez, the Chief Mechanical Engineer, that a single ball in the center of a well is NOT a bearing! I demonstrated that a commercial thrust bearing consisting of some balls in a race, could be dropped into the hole and then you would have a real thrust bearing! To demonstrate, I took the existing design, ran it at 45 RPM and disengaged the idler. The turntable stopped in about 45 seconds. With the new bearing, I did the same and the turntable was still running after two minutes! Although John was impressed and agreed with me, the design was never changed because, "Everybody did it this way..." The new bearing, which fit perfectly in the existing design, costs about $2.00.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/