[BC] Grass fires and tower loss in California

towers at mre.com towers at mre.com
Fri Jul 17 02:09:47 CDT 2009

I don't believe the tower legs were the failure mode.  I've been through
field fires like this and it's the guying system which often fails.  This
fire is just like the ones we have.  Low burning and swift.  But if there
is enough underbrush/thatch, the fire will get hot enough to allow the guy
lines to stretch and break.  But not hot enough to cause that kind of pipe
to reach yield.  ESPECIALLY with the piers >7ft. AGL.  The flames never
much beyond that.

One of Bob's shots shows a failed Crosby clamp.  Which would make perfect
sense.  Guy line failure as the cause.  Not failed leg.

Additionally, if the fire got hot enough to cause a leg to fail, all the
framing around the tower would have also buckled AND the paint would have
been charred. The plaform steel is not very heavy steel and it survived
without much more than a blackened paint job.

MM