[BC] Silly engineer tricks

Carl Fletcher carlf at radiooneindiana.com
Thu Jul 16 14:25:46 CDT 2009

I had a cassette tape of barn yard animals (geese, goats, cows, etc.) wired into the air monitor feed of our morning jock's headphones on our AM station.  I had the audio feed at a very low level so as not to be easily distinguishable and only present when the mic was turned on.  The jock (a good friend at the time) noticed these "strange" sounds way in the distance but every time he tried to let me hear it they where not there (mic was off).  He said "it may sound silly but sometimes it sounds like goats".... I told him that some types of transmitter failures could possibly be perceived as making goat sounds and to keep an ear on it and try to get me more details.  We even discussed mentioning it to our listeners to see if any of their radios where making the goat noises he was hearing and if so could they call us. This went on for most of the morning, till I couldn't take it any longer and let him in on the joke.  Todd was / is such a great guy we laughed about it for years.

Carl Fletcher
Chief Engineer
Radio One Communications
WAKE-AM, WLJE-FM WXRD-FM WZVN-FM