[BC] IBOC power Increase For FM stations

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo at usa.net
Wed Jul 15 21:26:32 CDT 2009

Even the PDs realize how useless IBOC is. Oedipus (PD of WBCN for almost 30
years until he retired 5 years ago) was on WFNX this morning. When they
mentioned that WBCN was still going to be on an HD2, Oedipus remarked that
they could have a convention of ALL the HD2 listeners in a VW minivan.
IBOC is a joke...and everyone knows it!
How come no one is laughing then?

-D

From: "Warren Shulz" <warren.shulz at citcomm.com>

That IBOC power increase is more bad science.  By iBiquity's own
admission the 1% power was selected to prevent interference to analog.
If we have 80% IBOC receiver deployment it would make sense. But, with a
1% deployment its nut to kill analog performance for the 1% IBOC radios
rolled out.

If I dial an analog radio with a RF signal strength meter the hiss of
IBOC carriers cover the entire Chicago FM dial.  Going to 10% power will
kill analog reception resulting in a sea of carrier hiss.