[BC] Silly engineer tricks

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Wed Jul 15 19:40:25 CDT 2009

At 05:12 PM 7/15/2009, Broadcast List USER wrote:
>One of the employees liked WKYS, which was the disco station.  He
>would put it on the big receiver with the BIG speakers, and turn up
>the bass.  I couldn't stand it.  It was a constant radio fight.  I
>would set another stereo receiver to 10.7 MHz off the big receiver's
>frequency.  He never did figure out why WKYS's signal got to be so bad.

         I've told these stories before:

         A good friend in LA worked a late shift on a
         beautiful music station, and was stunned
         to hear a radio - sited on the other side of
         the wall between the two apartments -
         turn on and blare shortly after he went to
         sleep.  I told him about the 455 kHz IF on
         AM, and he soon reported the guy next door
         had pounded and pounded on his radio - and
         finally turned it off.

         In college, I had someone next door in the dorm
         who liked to run his favorite station up at
         full level (he must have been a DJ, since
         most DJs only know two levels: off and 100%)
         VERY early in the AM.   A little phono oscillator
         bought a lot of peace.