[BC] 1950s' transistor radios pointed to more tech changes

Bob Groome bobgroome at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 14 13:16:36 CDT 2009

Maybe I should have mentioned the crystal set with a long wire
antenna I had before the tube kit. Used two 45 RPM records as
insulators and wire left over from some work my dad did in the
garage. Maybe 30 feet strung up between two trees near my Bedroom
window. The ground went to the AC outlet in my bed room (yes the low
side). The crystal was sandwitched between two pieces of metal
(scarp) the tune coil was wire wrapped around a toilet tissue empty
and the cap was stolen from the home radio (we did not have a TV at
the time). The home radio still played. I have no idea what the value
was. The crystal set was tuned by sliding a scrap metal piece across
the wire on the toilet tissue 'tuner' roll. The wire on the tuner was
from a burnt out headphone. Sanded the enamel off the wire where the
metal bar rode on it. It worked! Picked up two stations.

--
Bob Groome
Personal Web Site is: www.bobgroome.com
Work E-mail is: bgroome at eriinc.com