[BC] 1950s' transistor radios pointed to more tech changes

Jerry Mathis thebeaver32 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 10:54:24 CDT 2009

Once upon a time in our lives, people were supposed to be responsible enough
to KNOW that electricity was dangerous, and accept the responsibility if
they were careless. This was back in the "good old days" we sometimes refer
to, when kids ran around playing at everyones' house in the neighborhood,
nobody locked their doors, and kids were expected to get cuts, scrapes,
bicycle accidents, fall out of trees, etc., and it was no one's fault but
their own.

Now having said that, I'll also add that it was just plain foolishness to
make AC appliances the way they did. They had to know of the hazard
potential. I'm sure they tried to justify it by saying that the metal parts
of the chassis were covered with wood or plastic, and there WERE shock
hazard notices on many of them. The electricity industry did itself no
favors by not coming out earlier with polarized plugs and safety standards.

The NEC was one of the best things that's happened to the industry, although
I'll qualify that opinion by adding that I think sometimes it's a little TOO
restrictive. The big problems I've had have been the local AHJ's
(Authorities Having Jurisdiction) who come up with their own bizarre rules
and standards--and there's NOTHING you can do about it  :(

--
Jerry Mathis