[BC] 1950s' transistor radios pointed to more tech changes

SteveOrdinetz hykker at wildblue.net
Mon Jul 13 20:35:26 CDT 2009

Dave Dunsmoor wrote:

>     I took the wires from a cut off extension cord, and peeled back all but
>one strand, plugged it in and scratched the two wire strands together to see
>if it would spark.... From down the hall came dad's voice "what's going on
>down there"? And of course, the obligatory "nothing".

Heh.  Just before the power went out during the great northeast
blackout in 1965 (?) I was working on some project in my basement
laboratory.  Suddenly, the lights began to flicker & dim, my mother
yelled the same thing down the stairs.  My reply was the same as
yours, but I immediatley unplugged whatever it was I was working
on.  Lights came back on.  Plugged it back in, lights flickered,
dimmed & went out, this time for keeps.  To this day, I'm sure she
still thinks it was me that caused it.