[BC] 1950s' transistor radios pointed to more tech changes

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Mon Jul 13 20:26:00 CDT 2009

I once wanted to connect one of those AC/DC radios to an outside antenna for improved reception. Unfortunately, if the plug was inserted the "wrong" way, the antenna became charged with 120 volts. Therefore, I grounded the radio chassis to a good solid water-pipe ground and connected up only the "hot" AC wire to the plug. That way, the radio would work only if it was plugged in the correct way. I thought I had come up with a brilliant solution --until my father disconnected the wire from the water pipe. I still remember the shriek and feel the pain of the subsequent whipping.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/