[BC] 40 years later, we been had

Jim Tonne tonne at comcast.net
Sun Jul 12 17:09:32 CDT 2009

Tom:

Your note regarding "we will survive" caused me
to have a bit of a flashback.

I heard that at the turn of the century (pardon me,
children, I mean 1900) the buggy-whip
manufacturers were all up in arms about this new
"automobile" thing.  Someone pointed out that
there would be a market for something called
"headlights" and they saw the light as it were and
switched over to this new technology.

They survived.

We have to shift gears every now and then to
keep on going; sometimes the road is uphill.

I confess that I am very interested in seeing how
local radio (AM radio in particular) handles this
general economic situation.

I think things will work out when (assuming) radio
returns to its "local" roots and this horrible
conglomerate situation dies.  Radio is a local
thing and you will have a difficult time telling me
otherwise.

FYI, my first day of involvement with radio was
in Albuquerque, New Mexico, to turn on the
250 watt transmitter at 4:30 in the morning for
the coronation of the current queen of England.
I look back on that morning now and wonder
how many people in Albuquerque were
listening at that ridiculous hour.

- JimT